Skip to main content

My Favourite Game


Original Cover of Bioshock 2, Wikipedia

If there's one game I've played more times then I can count and enjoyed every time that I do then it would be Bioshock 2. I love the Bioshock series so much, that I have all of  the games on both Xbox360 and the remake version, Bioshock The Collection on Ps4.

For this, I'm only discussing the original Version of Bioshock 2, not the remake, Bioshock 1 or the sort of prequel Bioshock Infinite. Since while I love those game, Bioshock 2 is my favorite in the series and it doesn't get that much love from fans of the series because it was not made by Irrational Games.

One of the biggest parts of  The Bioshock series is it's story, in Bioshock 2 you play as Subject Delta, an alpha series Big Daddy who is bonded to a single little sister, Eleanor Lamb. The two get along very well but it turns out Eleanor's mother is Sofia Lamb, who is in opposition to Andrew Ryan (Bioshock 1 main Villain and Creator of Rapture) and she isn't very happy that her daughter is a little sister bonded to a big Daddy. She takes Eleanor and orders Delta to kill himself, which he does.

Now Eight years after Bioshock 1, Delta suddenly comes back to life, with the help of Eleanor and awakes in a completely different Rapture, run by Lamb (Sofia Lamb but many refer to her as Lamb). Now Delta must rescue Eleanor and escape Rapture.

While the story is not as twisting and turning as Bioshock 1, it's more personal. We meet people who are connected to Lamb, Elanor and even Delta. For Example Grace Holloway, who is a firm follower of Lamb, looked after Eleanor when Lamb was arrested, blames Delta for Eleanor being a little sister, also he broke Grace's jaw, and so tries to kill Delta.

We find out about her life, her husband who is killed, her failed singing career, her inability to have a child and eventually meeting Lamb. This makes the story have more of an impact, as we emphasis with the characters and understand why they're helping Lamb. Bioshock 1 did the same but many of the enemies weren't reliable and were very dis-likable unlike Bioshock 2's more understandable and reliable enemies.

Grace Holloway's Audio Dairy picture, Bioshock Wiki

Speaking of enemies, the first person shooter system of games fused with the magic system (known as Plasmids in this game) from fantasy rpg games is back from Bioshock 1 and now better then ever. Delta can now duel wield both Plasmids and Guns sort of. The left trigger (or L2) shoots Plasmids and the right trigger (or R2) fires bullets of your gun. Meaning you can fire your shotgun and Electrobolt at an enemy at the same time ! Making combat more fun and allows you to be more creativity then before.

Speaking of Plasmids, many of the classic one are back like Electrobolt, they can be upgrade to be more effective, with some like Electrobolt able to reach level 3, draining your eve faster and becoming more fun of course !

Gun play is also more fun, instead of getting a wrench, a pistol and more. Delta is able to carry standard Big Daddy's weapons, including a machine guns, that looks more like a mini-gun, a spear gun and of course the infamous Drill to name a few. Each weapon is unique and come in handy in situation, such as using the speargun to pick off far off enemies. They can also be upgraded to be more powerful like the in Bioshock 1 but unlike Bioshock 1 after two upgrades, a third upgrade is unlock which adds an new ability to the weapon, for example: your shotgun's bullets will electrocute your enemies. This opens up more creative options for combat and with each weapon having three different types of ammo, the options are even more.

A Big Sister in Siren Alley, Wired

This comes in real handy when you have to face the Big Daddies, who are as hard as before but it's the Big Sister who are a nightmare. While the Big Daddies take bullets like it's nothing and can take  most of your health with one attack. The Big Sisters are extremely fast, making them hard to hit especially when they're far away and fire Plasmids at you. Thankfully the Big Daddies can't fire Plasmids at you but they can fire rockets, drills and rivets at you. While both Big Daddies and Big Sister are hard, they do become easier over times when you upgrades yourself to a certain point.

An Alpha Series Big Daddy, Bioshock Wiki

But what really makes this game stand out is the science fiction/steampunk 1960s style of the game, the propaganda posters, the vending machine, the enemies and even the floorboard are beautiful design and adds more to the world.

Example of Bioshock 2's poster, Bioshock Wiki

I could go on, but I think you get the point. Overall I love Bioshock 2, I love it's combat, it's story, it's enemies and the walking scenes, especially the ones you can explore the ocean.

Comments

  1. Looks good goes really deep into the details of the game.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Me, Myself and I

Hello, I'm Sarah and this my introduction post ! Here's bit of information about me: I live in Dublin, in Ireland and I've live there all my life. I mainly listen to Metal, currently I've been listening to Slipknot newest Album 'We are not your Kind' also known as Vol 6.. If you want a taste of Slipknot, here's a link to 'Unsainted' which is the first song (not counting the intro) on their new album. For Hobbies, I usually write, I've been practising writing over the summer and I think I'm getting better, My English has certainly improved. I'm also a Cub Scout Leader, so I go away on trip with the Cubs, Scouts and Ventures. This year I went away to County Claire and Holland with the Scouts. County Claire in June 2019, Taken by Me while hiking with the Cubs. I really like travelling around, especially with my camera, my Nikon D5100 with a standard 18-55mm lens and I since I'm studying photography in college I got put in

Game Vision Statement

Vision, it's a powerful thing, I should know, I needed glasses and didn't know I needed them, Now I can't live without them. Anyway, that's not what I'm talking, today I'm gonna be talking about my game and how I envision it. First, My Game will be a first person Action-Adventure game with some debatable RPG elements, I say debatable because now of days many games have RPG mechanics but aren't really RPGs, for example is Far cry 5 an RPG because you get new skills and have an inventory ? The game is mostly based off, Terraria  so the gameplay is very similar to it, you'll need to collect certain items, build up your strength, get stronger and defeat bosses. The big difference is that my game is going to be in 3D while Terraria is a 2D game, I'm not sure in what way that will effect the gameplay as that can effect a game very badly, for example Mega-man X7   and I'll have to be careful not to fall into that "pit-fall" get it ? Aren&#

Alpha

My non swinging Axe, taken by me    Capitulate that goes ding ! Taken by me  An enemy, taken by me