Skip to main content

Game Design

I read a reading titled "What is a game, anyway ?" and I agree with many of the points raise. The biggest point I agree with is that a game does not take programming skills, impressive graphics or excellent modelling and there's many examples of this. One example is 'Shenmue', a game that had all of this but severally under preform and was unable to save it's publisher 'Sega' from becoming a third party company.

'Shenmue' Original cover artwork, taken from Wikipedia 

The question of what is a game is and what is not, is an interesting one. If we believe 'Switch' is a game then can we believe 'Call of duty' a game too ? The reading offers great terminology and explain the confusion of what a game is, which I agree with too. 'Shenmue' creator, Yu Suzuki, call it a "Free" game, however in present time 'Shenmue' is refer to as a "open world" game.

I read this as well: What is a game, anyway ? , it brought up an interesting point yet shows the spectrum of gaming and how difficult it is answer said question in the article name: "A Game is only a game, when everything that happens in the game stays within the game world."...."With all reality games, the principal of freedom gets lost."

I read another reading titled "What is Game Design ?", I agree many of it is points as well. I agree that our first game will not be great, as we are inexperience game designers and have only began. I read an article titled: So You're Going To Make A Game For The Very First Time ? , it bring up many points raised in the reading, for example, play test your game, which I agree is very important as it gives a clearer idea of where one can improve.

However both and another article, Fear Of The Game raised an interesting point: creating a game is terrifying. All the reference material above discuss the idea of your first game being not a great game and how people are scare to start designing there first game. However I agree with what many of the reference material state and I will quote directly from 'Fear Of The Game' as I feel it summarise the material reference above well. : "Game design is sometimes the art of being the least wrong, the least imperfect.".

Comments

  1. Hey Sarah,
    I enjoyed reading your blog I like the way you talked more about what a game is and what is game design and I agree with many points you have made and I also taught your writing on this blog was very professional as well anyway I enjoyed reading your blog and hope to read more from you soon.
    - Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Me, Myself and I

Hello, I'm Sarah and this my introduction post ! Here's bit of information about me: I live in Dublin, in Ireland and I've live there all my life. I mainly listen to Metal, currently I've been listening to Slipknot newest Album 'We are not your Kind' also known as Vol 6.. If you want a taste of Slipknot, here's a link to 'Unsainted' which is the first song (not counting the intro) on their new album. For Hobbies, I usually write, I've been practising writing over the summer and I think I'm getting better, My English has certainly improved. I'm also a Cub Scout Leader, so I go away on trip with the Cubs, Scouts and Ventures. This year I went away to County Claire and Holland with the Scouts. County Claire in June 2019, Taken by Me while hiking with the Cubs. I really like travelling around, especially with my camera, my Nikon D5100 with a standard 18-55mm lens and I since I'm studying photography in college I got put in

Game Vision Statement

Vision, it's a powerful thing, I should know, I needed glasses and didn't know I needed them, Now I can't live without them. Anyway, that's not what I'm talking, today I'm gonna be talking about my game and how I envision it. First, My Game will be a first person Action-Adventure game with some debatable RPG elements, I say debatable because now of days many games have RPG mechanics but aren't really RPGs, for example is Far cry 5 an RPG because you get new skills and have an inventory ? The game is mostly based off, Terraria  so the gameplay is very similar to it, you'll need to collect certain items, build up your strength, get stronger and defeat bosses. The big difference is that my game is going to be in 3D while Terraria is a 2D game, I'm not sure in what way that will effect the gameplay as that can effect a game very badly, for example Mega-man X7   and I'll have to be careful not to fall into that "pit-fall" get it ? Aren&#

Alpha

My non swinging Axe, taken by me    Capitulate that goes ding ! Taken by me  An enemy, taken by me