Skip to main content

Game Stories

This week reading, are two readings, first: "Into The Woods: A Practical Guide to the Hero's Journey" and second: "What every game developer needs to know about story". Both readings discuss story in games and the hero's journey.

The first reading, "Into The Woods: A Practical Guide to the Hero's Journey." which discuss at first about Myths, what are myths, how humans uses myths to teach lesson and how myths are apart of Human's DNA.

This is an interesting discussion as Myths are often seen as "false-stories that scare kids" for example Big Foot or the boogey man. However even in this sense, Myths are useful, as it teaches lesson, again for example The boogey man only punished children who misbehaved to teach kids to behave, however there is another angle to look at this with the child murder, Albert Fish who was nicknamed "The boogey man", as the boogey man myths is he eats the misbehave child which Fish did with his victims. One could see this as a warning, that the "boogey man" is one to avoid both in the sense for children and adults.

The reading discusses Joseph Campbell's "The Hero's Journey" which comments on how one may use "The Hero's Journey" to one's benefits. The writer of the reading gives a step by step guide on "The Hero's journey", this section was less interesting however a good read as it refreshes the mind on the steps on writing a story in general, not only for games.
The Hero's Journey, taken from Wikipedia
Moving to the second reading, "What Every Game Developer Needs To Know About Story", the reading starts by explaining how stories are needed in Games now of days to reach a larger audience. Pointing out the important key of storytelling, Story is Conflict.

The additional Reading is "The Visual Magic of comics" By Scott McCloud, this reading discuss huge amounts of topics, however focuses on Vision, the idea of having a vision and the four principles: 1. Learn from everyone, 2. follow no one, 3. watch for patterns and 4. work like hell. However McCloud discusses how computer screens are windows, allowing us to view comics in a new and different way. Applying this to the other readings, this relates by not seeing the screens as the window but the game itself as the window for the story, allows the player to face the struggles that main character face, therefore allowing for better connection with that main character.
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Me, Myself and I

Hello, I'm Sarah and this my introduction post ! Here's bit of information about me: I live in Dublin, in Ireland and I've live there all my life. I mainly listen to Metal, currently I've been listening to Slipknot newest Album 'We are not your Kind' also known as Vol 6.. If you want a taste of Slipknot, here's a link to 'Unsainted' which is the first song (not counting the intro) on their new album. For Hobbies, I usually write, I've been practising writing over the summer and I think I'm getting better, My English has certainly improved. I'm also a Cub Scout Leader, so I go away on trip with the Cubs, Scouts and Ventures. This year I went away to County Claire and Holland with the Scouts. County Claire in June 2019, Taken by Me while hiking with the Cubs. I really like travelling around, especially with my camera, my Nikon D5100 with a standard 18-55mm lens and I since I'm studying photography in college I got put in

Game Vision Statement

Vision, it's a powerful thing, I should know, I needed glasses and didn't know I needed them, Now I can't live without them. Anyway, that's not what I'm talking, today I'm gonna be talking about my game and how I envision it. First, My Game will be a first person Action-Adventure game with some debatable RPG elements, I say debatable because now of days many games have RPG mechanics but aren't really RPGs, for example is Far cry 5 an RPG because you get new skills and have an inventory ? The game is mostly based off, Terraria  so the gameplay is very similar to it, you'll need to collect certain items, build up your strength, get stronger and defeat bosses. The big difference is that my game is going to be in 3D while Terraria is a 2D game, I'm not sure in what way that will effect the gameplay as that can effect a game very badly, for example Mega-man X7   and I'll have to be careful not to fall into that "pit-fall" get it ? Aren&#

Alpha

My non swinging Axe, taken by me    Capitulate that goes ding ! Taken by me  An enemy, taken by me